According to National Crime Records Bureau, Ministry of Road Transport & Highway, Law commission of India, Global status report on road safety 2013,
- 16 children die on Indian roads daily.
- 5 lives end on Delhi’s roads everyday.
- There is one death every four minutes due to a road accident in India.
- One serious road accident in the country occurs every minute and 16 die on Indian roads every hour.
- 1214 road crashes occur every day in India.
- Two wheelers account for 25% of total road crash deaths.
- 20 children under the age of 14 die every day due to road crashes in in the country.
- 377 people die every day, equivalent to a jumbo jet crashing every day.
- Two people die every hour in Uttar Pradesh – State with maximum number of road crash deaths.
- Over 1,37,000 people were killed in road accidents in 2013 alone, that is more than the number of people killed in all our wars put together.
Isn’t it shocking ??
A calamity which is in our own hands is responsible for these mammoth amount of deaths in a single year!
Reasons for these staggering statistics are:.
1.)Over speeding: Humans are capable to control things and situations but upto a certain limit. Exceeding that limit is always hazardous and can lead to fatalities. The urge to touch the last bar of the speedometer is a prominent reason for these staggering still true statistics.
2.)Drunken Driving: While few drinks might lead you to abode , drunken driving might lead to the gateway of hell. Alcohol along with reducing concentration ,diminishes the life span of a driver.
3.) Distractions while driving: Mobile phones might have made our life easier but they have also brought with them a fear factor, heavy usage while driving can affect your on road performance which may lead to a disaster.
Stray animals are also a major distraction while driving as one is always unsure about their presence.
While these numbers might be mind-boggling , one point which is crystal clear is that driving is one of the most underrated errand . It needs to be taken up as quite a serious affair which when not done properly,can lead to fatalities.